Golf at Royal Portrush Golf Club
The British Open week at Royal Portrush Golf Club will be from the 14th of July to the 21st of July 2019. However, since not all of us are good enough to play! The following is a list of golf courses to play in the Portrush area during the Open Championship.
- Ballycastle G.C
- Ballyliffin G.C (36 holes)
- Castlerock G.C (36 holes)
- City of Derry G.C
- Malone G.C
- Portstewart G.C (36 holes)
- Roe Park Golf Resort
- Royal Belfast G.C
Notably, there are plenty of Irish Golf Links courses to play in the neighbouring county of Donegal. Please click on this link to see a list of Donegal Irish links Golf courses to play.
The downside, there won’t be an economical Hotel room to be found during the week of the Open Championship. However, the following number of hotels to consider using for future trips to the Portrush area.
- The Merchant Hotel
- Galgoram Castle
- The Atlantic Hotel in Portrush
- Roe Park Resort
Notably, there are bed and breakfasts, guest houses in the Portrush area. Also, please consult your favourite search engine to locate the room type of your choice.
Things to Do Near Portrush
Indeed, the good news is that there is plenty to do and see. Initially, one must visit the Giants Causeway, Dunluce Castle and if you like whiskey? There is a lovely whiskey tour around the Bushmills whiskey distillery. Additionally, the coastal drive from Portrush to Cushendun is beautiful. Along, consider stopping at the coastal towns for a tea, coffee or a pint. The towns are lovely places to visit, and the views will provide plenty of photo opportunities. Finally, if you have the time, take the ferry from Maligan Point to Greencastle and visit the famine village near Ballyliffin Golf Club.
Dooley Noted on Royal Portrush Golf Club
The course is fantastic, and indeed, the Royal Portrush GC is a bucket list golf course and a real test of golf. Also, from my experience, I did like the caddy program at Portrush and the golfers enjoyed their caddies at Royal Portrush. Therefore, our advice is to hire the services of a caddy.
Tips for Planning a golf trip to Northern Ireland
Initially, fill up a seven-day golf trip to Nothern Ireland, I would start with a three-part plan:
- Firstly, map out the golf courses that you want to play and book early! Such as Portrush, Royal County Down, Portstewart and so on.
- Secondly, plan to spend a couple of nights in the Portrush area. Also, consider using Belfast as the alternative base of operations to travel back and forth to Portrush. Mainly, there are more quality restaurants to choose from in Belfast than in Portrush.
- Finally, move on to play the Rosapenna Golf Resort or Ballyliffin GC and tour around the Wild Atlantic Way in Donegal.
The post was written by John Dooley | Concierge Golf Ireland | email: [email protected]